Friday, November 16, 2007

And the Race is On!

There are only six full weeks left in the year.
44 days until my 4th Odelia Grey manuscript, Epitaph Envy, is due to my publisher.

And, as usual, the race is on and I'm packing penalty weight.

I'm pleased to say that Epitaph Envy is humming along nicely. I'm much further along on it than I was last year at this time on Thugs and Kisses, and I made that deadline. Okay, by the skin of my teeth, but I made it! I expect to have Epitaph Envy done by the end of Thanksgiving weekend or at least by December 1st. That will leave all of December for honing and polishing. The goal is to turn the manuscript in on December 21st, 10 days early, and the day I leave on my birthday weekend cruise.

The problem is, the last six weeks of the year are often the busiest at my day job and this year is no different. In a few minutes I'll be leaving for work, a few hours earlier than usual, to wrangle some of the voluminous year-end deals that have crossed my busy desk and must close by year-end. Then there's Christmas shopping and the usual holiday parties. My December calendar is deceptively empty. It's not that I don't have things planned for December, but that I haven't taken the time to transfer my schedule to my Year-At-A-Glance wall calendar. Perhaps I'm afraid that if I do, I'll have an anxiety attack. It's much easier to think about my schedule in 2008 then what's left of 2007.

Add to the above the fact that my publisher has also sent me the proofs of Thugs and Kisses. I need to review those and return them right after Thanksgiving so the book can go to print in time.

Anyway, one foot in front of the other, one day at a time. Before I know it, Epitaph Envy will be done, the deals closed, and I will be on that cruise!

Then I start on the manuscript for The Ghost of Granny Apples due August 1, 2008.
Just breathe, Sue. Just breathe.


Felicia Donovan said...

You're an old pro at this, Sue Ann. 44 days and you'll have another great Odelia Grey story done! But while you're on that cruise, see if they offer juggling lessons, okay?

Keith Raffel said...

G'luck. (A short comment because you don't have time to read a long one.)