Saturday, October 13, 2007

To Sleep, Perchance To Dream

I'm still not feeling well from last weekend's bout with the flu. I did make it to my day job all this week and I did get in some good writing time on Epitaph Envy, but I'm far from 100% healthy. I slept 9 hours last night and woke up today with the intent of writing and then heading out to book signings for several friends. I did get in some writing this morning, but as for the other, let's just say I showered then decided the health of my friends was better served with me staying home. About 40 minutes ago I woke up from a 2+ hour nap -- this on top of a 9 hour night's sleep. When I sleep like that, I know I'm under the weather. However, it was a very useful snooze.

I dream a lot when I sleep and I have a knack for remembering most of my dreams. Most of the time they are just nutty scraps of events and people with roots in my daily life. Sometimes they are like watching full-length movies with plots, players, and special effects. Today during my nap, my brain was very active and I found myself in a theme-park that was only open on weekends because during the week it served as a law firm. The different departments of the law firm were housed in cute little separate buildings throughout the large park and we scooted from one to the other in golf cart type vehicles. You could only access the law firm through a special door in a parking garage that looked like an emergency exit.

What can I say? I'm still taking cold/flu medicine.

But what was really useful about today's nap was the end of my dream time, when my mind was resurfacing back to reality. It was during this just under the surface sleep that I saw scenes from Epitaph Envy play out, including the very last chapter. Yes, the entire whole last chapter, complete with characters, plots and dialogue. I already know the climax of the book and wrote that a long time ago, but this is the final chapter, what I call the clean-up or loose-ends chapter that ends the book on a polished note.

I can't tell you how the book ends. For that, you'll have to read it (Epitaph Envy will be out February 2009). But I can tell you the final few sentences: Steele winked at me. "Of course, a woman's involved."

Book events I missed today:

Kathryn Lilley's signing of Dying to be Thin. I also missed Kathryn's book launch party last Friday because of illness. Sorry, Kathryn!

Joanne Fluke and Laura Levine's launch party for Candy Cane Murder.


Kathryn Lilley said...

Hi Sue Ann--we missed you! Hope you're feeling better! With 2.5 weeks to go until the first draft of my next book is due, I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't come down with anything! Best, Kathryn

Stacia said...

I woke up one morning several years ago and announced to Jon that we needed to go to Iceland on vacation. By the way, we had a fantastic time (and it's a geologist's playground), but everytime I mention having a dream about something he STILL gets that deer-in-the headlights look.....