Monday, August 20, 2007

Taking Time to Smell the Roses


Considering my writing and day job commitments, it’s no surprise that one of the questions I get asked a lot is: “Do you ever have time for fun?”

Absolutely! Even with my tight writing schedule, which now includes writing two series, I make time to get out and have fun. Sometimes I combine the fun with the business of writing and sometimes I combine it with research, and sometimes I just stop the writing machine, say “Time Out!” and go play. If I didn’t, I’d go mad.

This past Saturday I met my friend Miles Holliman for breakfast at Harbor House CafĂ© at Sunset Beach. Miles and I met years ago when we both worked for the same company and he’s a very interesting and fun guy. I also had to do some reconnaissance work in Seal Beach about 2 miles away from the restaurant for the book I’m currently working on, so it was a combo trip, but most of my time with Miles was just about catching up with the trials, tribulations and joys of our lives.

After breakfast, Miles rode shotgun and jotted notes down for me about the area (which he knew well). For some time, we methodically drove up and down the streets of Seal Beach taking notes on houses, streets, buildings of note, etc. After, we parked on Main Street and strolled down to Bogart’s across from the beach for coffee and more chat.

Tonight, I’m meeting my good friend and Edgar winner, Naomi Hirahara, for dinner at Versailles, followed by an hour of watching Weeds and Californication.

So, no fear, this girl knows how to stop and smell the roses. Life is far too short to just write and bathe cats.


P.S.: Two weeks, and counting, until vacation

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

2 weeks and couting!! WOO HOO!! :-)

Keith Raffel said...

Hedonist!

Loni Emmert said...

As a fan of yours and a new SINC member, I was glad to see how you make your research fun. I plan to follow your example and make my research more enjoyable! Have a great vacation, hope it's on a beach.....

Kate Thornton said...

Sue Ann - vacation! Just 5 more weeks and my contract at work will be over and I will be gloriously unemployed! Yippee! Let's get together and celebrate!