Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Thanks for the Memories

Sunday’s 2007 No Crime Unpublished Conference – SinC Into a Good Mystery was a huge success. The workshops, faculty, speakers, location and food were all tops. I have attended four of these conferences and all have been excellent, but the 2007 conference out shined them all. We also had more first-time attendees than ever before. We were saddened when keynote speaker Jacqueline Winspear had to bow out due to a serious shoulder injury, but scheduled morning speaker, SinC National President Rochelle Krich rose to the occasion and wowed us with her moving and inspirational keynote speech.Kudos to conference co-chairs Diana James and Jane DiLucchio for heading up such a spectacular event, and to the entire conference committee for all of their hard work and devotion of time. Special shout-out to Gayle Bartos-Pool for her to-die-for raffle baskets, which raised over $1,000 for The Crime Lab Project sponsored by Jan Burke.

This conference was also a bitter sweet moment for me. It was my swan song as president of Sisters In Crime/Los Angeles. Because of my growing commitments and success as a writer and my growing duties at my day job as a paralegal, I made the difficult decision to step down a bit early from my position as president of the chapter. After serving on the chapter’s board for over 8 years, nearly 4 as president, it was time to move on and leave my duties in the capable hands of VP Diana James. As Diana moves into the prez position, publicity director, Susan Kosar Beery moves into the VP position. Due to the cohesiveness of the current board, the transition will be nearly seamless.

I want to thank Sisters In Crime, and particularly the Los Angeles Chapter, for a fun and at times wild ride for the past 8 years. We have accomplished much and have a lot to be proud of and thankful for, including a growing and diverse membership. I know the chapter will continue to grow and develop under the guidance of Diana and Susan. I also want to thank the board and chapter for the great parting gift: a Garmin GPS! Now when I'm riding around from book store to book store, I won't endanger myself and others trying to drive while squinting at printed Internet directions.

Pictured above is the 2006-2007 Board of Sisters In Crime/Los Angeles – my friends, comrades, and boon companions. Pictured left to right, back row: Gayle Bartos-Pool, Lori Wolf, Sharon Goldstein, Sybil Johnson, Susan Kosar Beery, me, A. H. Ream. Front row: Celeste Covas, Diana James, Darrell James and Jane DiLucchio. Not pictured: Linda Bivens

Thank you, dear friends. I couldn’t have done it without you.

1 comment:

Kate Thornton said...

Sue Ann, you have been the most terrific President. I'm sure gonna miss you, so I hope you will still continue to be active in the chapter and in my life for lunch.