Friday, June 29, 2007

Road Trip

Today my soon-to-be ex-guy pal and I are heading to Julian, CA for the weekend. The trip has a two-fold purpose: 1) it's our last hurrah as a couple; and 2) I'm researching my new mystery series. I've been to Julian before and found it very charming, so when I came up with the idea for my new series, I thought it would be fun to place it partially in this historical mountain town known for its delicious apples and apple pie.

The working title of the first book in the series is The Ghost of Granny Apples. Notice I used the word "proposed." The Ghost of Granny Apples and subsequent books in the series have been proposed to my publisher and I should know in a few weeks if the idea will fly, but seeing that I'm not one to leave research to the last minute, it seemed natural to do a combination trip now.

It will be interesting to see how I juggle writing two mystery series, but there is something about this new series that is just nagging at me to write it. Of course, the Odelia Grey series will never be far from the center of my heart, but it will be a fun challenge to write something else that is so very different.

So now, besides the ghost of Selma Diamond guiding me as my muse, I'll have the ghost of Granny Apples looking over my shoulder. Talk about seeing dead people!

1 comment:

Kate Thornton said...

Have a terrific time, Sue Ann! I used to live just outside of Julian, back in the 1950's, in a rented old house out in the middle of nowhere with my mother & brother. One day a strange large dog wandered to our back door. I was just a small child and thought I could ride on this dog,like a pony. I climbed up on his back and he didn't like it. I fell off and hit my mouth against the water spigot on the side of the house. I wasn't hurt, but I have a tooth that has always been out of alignment since then. Just the mention of beautiful Julian, where the apples grow and where you can get a good buffalo burger, always brings this memory back. We were such happy kids! (Although I'm sure we drove my poor mother to distraction!)

Have fun!