Tuesday, May 01, 2007

LA TIMES FESTIVAL - CELEBRATING FRIENDS AND BOOKS

Okay, it's been two days since the LA Times Festival of Books and I think I'm recovered. The 2-day festival is exhausting for any author, but for me and the board of Sisters In Crime/Los Angeles and Crime Time Books it means two days of non-stop work, preceded by weeks of preparation.

This year was a huge success. The weather was beautiful, the crowds big and eager to hear about and buy books, and the authors were geared up and pitching. I've been working the SinC/LA booth for seven years and can honestly say that this was one of the best years yet. We had lots of new faces at our tables this year and many dear friends.


During the weekend we got to pat Naomi Hirahara on the back for her recent Edgar win for her novel Snakeskin Shamisen, and celebrate with Jeff Sherratt over his new publishing contract with Echelon Press.


But even as I has thrilled to see the end of the 2007 festival and get my weary body home and into a hot shower, I experienced a bit of sadness. For the past 4 years, as president of SinC/LA, I have been in charge of the group's booth and the overall coordinator. And while I will eagerly hand the reins over to my successor and take on the roll of author-only at future festivals, it was sad to see this chapter of my life come to a close.

Thank you festival goers and authors for making the 2007 SinC/LA booth such a success. And THANK YOU SinC/LA and Crime Time Books for your dedication and hard work each and every year at the Festival.

2 comments:

Keith Raffel said...

Thanks, Sue Ann. You, Susan, Diana, and Darrell all did a wonderful job!

Jeff Sherratt said...

Sue Ann, it is people like you that make this world a better place to live. Thanks for all of your help and encouragement.

Jeff Sherratt