Saturday, March 10, 2007

Post Card from San Diego - Women of Inspiration

Greetings from San Diego! Old habits die hard, even when you're on vacation. I woke up this morning at 5:30 and couldn't sleep so I tip-toed out of the room and came down to the lobby to work/read so not to disturb Susan.

We're having a fantastic time here by the sea. Yesterday, we spent most of the day at Balboa Park. We had planned to do some serious museum hopping but two exhibits so moved us we spent most of our time there.

Upon arriving at Balboa Park we went immediately to the Mingei International Museum fully intending to lose ourselves in the exhibit from Kazakhstan. The exhibit was lovely as was the Jewelery From Five Continents exhibit. But the real treat was the Eva Zeisel exhibit on the 2nd floor. The exhibit, celebrating this designer's 100th birthday, is NOT to be missed. If you get to the exhibit, don't miss the inspirational 1 hr film on her life. That alone was worth the price of admission.

After a snack we crossed over to the San Diego Museum of Art where we were overwhelmed by the Annie Leibovitz exhibit. This exhibit featured approximately 200 astounding photographs from the artist's personal and professional life, along with posted commentary on many, and a short film.

Wow, in one day I got the sun, the sea, great company, great seafood, and an inspirational shot in the arm from learning about the lives and the extraordinary work of two women who followed (and still follow) their passion.

I am humbled.


writtenwyrdd said...

I'm in SD in a couple of weeks, and I hope to get through the museums. I didn't last summer, unfortunately. (I have family there whom I visit.)

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

I hope you DO get a chance to hit both of the exhibits I mentioned. The whole weekend made me realize that I don't get to San Diego often enough. :)