Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Pan-Massachusetts Challenge for Cancer

As many of you already know, my oldest nephew, Tom, has ridden for years in the Pan-Massachusetts Challenge to raise money for cancer research. Then a few years ago, the ride and our support became very personal when Tom himself was diagnosed with cancer. He recently sent out the following e-mail to his friends and family, letting us know it's time again to get out our checkbooks and support a very worthy cause. If any of you would like to join us in sponsoring Tom's ride this year (the actual bike ride is in August, I believe), please feel free. Just follow the directions below.

Hello everyone,

It's time for your Royal Awesomeness to come sucking around for cancer cash again. Last year, we collected over $4500 as a group and the PMC raised an amazing $26 million, with 99 cents of every dollar going to research and patient care. The overall goal this year is $27 million and our minimum has been bumped up to $3600. More good news is that last year the number of cancer deaths dropped for the first time in decades:

The following link offers comparisons of the PMC's efficiency and energy against other fundraising events in Massachusetts and around the country.

An unreasonable independent streak hesitates sending these emails out, but there is the tiniest mote of humbleocity (or is that humbleicity? I can never remember) that knows I cannot do this alone and is too important to forego. Pride is swallowed and I come again asking you for the honor of sweating and aching in your name for those we'll never know. For the honor of cursing under my breath in your name for that darn hill that inexplicably rises out of nowhere when 5 miles back you have been assured that "it's all downhill from here", and why the heck are there hills on the Cape anyway?!?! The thing is made out of sand! Isn't there supposed to be an erosion problem or something? What kind of sadist laid out this route? I want names damm... Um, sorry, maybe got a little sidetracked there. I'm asking for a minimum donation of $25 again, and please feel free toforward this to anyone you think would be interested in helping the cause. The easiest way to make a donation is online.

Please be sure my egiftID is used so my account will be credited with the donation. egiftID = tj0020 or you can send me a check payable to the Jimmy Fund to Tom Jaffarian, 857 Tucker Road #4, Dartmouth, MA 02747.

Tom's health: Except for some nasty virus I contracted when I was kidnapped by martians recently, my health has been excellent. My next check-up is in a few weeks and with the anticipated negative results, will officially be over 1 year cancer free.

Thank you very much for your love and support,


No comments: