Sunday, March 04, 2007

Future Mystery Writers of America

Mystery Writers of America sponsors a program called MWA: Reads! Part of that program is the Joan Lowery Nixon Contest, a national writing competition for kids and teens. So when my friend Rodney Johnson asked me if I would be a preliminary judge for this contest, I was thrilled. The competition is divided into two classes: Grades 2-5 and Grades 6-10. I was given the stories from grades 2-5. After much deliberation, I submitted my choices to Rod this morning. From there they will go to a panel of national judges with the winners announced at the annual Edgar Awards Banquet in New York on April 26, 2007.

Wow! I was so impressed with the level of writing from these kid from all over our nation. It was amazing to see how they grasped the idea of formulating a mystery and following the clues to the conclusion. It was extremely tough narrowing down the field. I wanted to give them all an award!

Keep up the great work, kids! You are the future Michael Connollys and Sue Graftons!

No comments: