Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Circle of Life

Everyday at my day job as a paralegal, I am reminded of my roots in the legal field. When I look out my office window and across Century Park East, I look directly at the office building where it all started, the building that houses the law firm where I had my first real legal job over thirty years ago. The firm is still there. It has evolved and changed names, but it's still there.

It started out to be a "temporary job;" something just until I decided what I wanted to be when I grew up. Funny thing is, I always wanted to be a writer, it just took me two decades to put my butt in gear and pursue my dream of being a writer, and the past decade bringing that dream to fruition.

In the past thirty years I've lived in several places around the country. I've lost both parents. Found love, lost love, found love. Gained and lost enough weight to build several new people. Had two agents and written 5 novels, two of which are published, with a third coming out in less than a year. And I've had many jobs in the legal field in both law firms and corporations.

I really enjoy my present day job. The people, both the attorneys and staff, are very nice and the work is interesting. It's a good place to be. It will be a great place to remember as my last legal job when the time comes.

I used to tell people I was a paralegal who writes. Now I tell people I'm a writer who works as a paralegal.

In a little over an hour, I will head back to my paralegal job on Century Park East. Several times today, I will look out my window at the building where it all started. It's a gentle reminder of where I've been. On my computer at work my screen saver is a photo of my current book's cover. It's a gentle reminder of where I'm going.


Kate Thornton said...

Beautiful imagery, Sue Ann!

Diana said...

Wbat a beautiful sentiment.
What image will soon replace the book cover on your scren saver?
...ever looking forward,