Monday, February 05, 2007

Leaving On A Jet Plane


My bags are packed (not!). I’m ready to go (not!).

At 12:55 a.m. on Thursday, February 8th, I will be leaving Los Angeles on a red-eye flight to Atlanta. As the party a few weeks ago kicked off the release of The Curse of the Holy Pail, this trip signals the lift off of my book touring for 2007. Unlike many authors who take off for several weeks at a time, because of my day job, I do my book tour in a series of long weekends, targeting specific events and geographic areas.

I have 4 major events planned this coming weekend. I kick off with a short speech at the American Beauties Plus Pageant in Atlanta on Friday evening, then drive that night to Birmingham. Saturday at 8:30 a.m. I am giving a workshop at the Alabama Association of Paralegals Winter Conference, then scoot on over to Murder in the Magic City where I join 19 other authors for a mystery conference. At Murder in the Magic City I will be moderating a panel made up of pals Denise Hamilton, Patricia Smiley and fellow Midnight Inker Tim Maleeny. Sunday will find all the same 20 authors at Murder on the Menu at the Wetumpka Library. Monday I drive back to Atlanta for a flight home that evening.

In between all this activity I will be doing “drive-bys.” A cozy California phrase used to describe book store signings where the author literally “drives-by,” hops out of the car and spends a few minutes signing stock and schmoozing with the bookstore manager and employees. I begin my drive-bys as soon as I land in Atlanta on Thursday morning. My manager has been calling ahead to the stores to let them know I’m coming and yesterday she provided me with a detailed spread sheet, complete with maps, for all of the drive-bys.

Evenings I'll be holed up in whatever hotel room I find myself writing feverishly. After all, the 4th book still must be written.

My tours are like butchering a hog, nothing is wasted, except for the tail and the oink.

Tuesday will find me back at my day job.

I’m tired already.

4 comments:

Keith Raffel said...

Ooh. Drive carefully!

Evelyn K. said...

I don't blame you one bit for feeling tired just thinking about all you'll do on your trip!! And here I thought you might get to do something fun during your trip. I'm learning lots from you. :)

You'll be due a bonafide vacation when you get back.

Anonymous said...

You make me have hope that, should I ever be published, I can manage the book tours and what not with a job that averages 70 hours a week.

Bless you, I feel reassured now. And I hope you aren't too tired to have a little fun.

LouisaDaniele said...

Sue Ann,

It was nice to listen to you speak at American Beauties Plus Pageant. After I listen to you I went out and order your two books. I can't wait to get them and start reading them. Sorry your stay in Atlanta was short.
I was hoping that I was chosen for the National Queen in my division. I would of loved to have been in your new book. But for my first pageant I came away very happy. I hope you havd a safe trip home.
I will be waiting for your new book next year.
Louisa