Monday, February 26, 2007

Agatha Like You Never Knew Her

Last night, like most everyone else, I watched the Oscars. I partook of this ritual at the annual Oscar party thrown by my friends Joe Bays and Sharon Goldstein. It was a grand time, even if I did come out next to last in the awards pool.

But the Oscars aren't my focus this morning. This morning I got my first glance at the Agatha nominations. The Agathas are given out at the Malice Domestic conference held each year in May in Arlington, Virginia. It's a conference dedicated to the traditional mystery as typified by Agatha Christie. The award is a darling black ceramic teapot sporting a skull and crossbones.

This year's list, as always, contains a lot of favorite authors, but the biggest excitement for me is the nomination of Murder on the Rocks by fellow Midnight Ink author Karen MacInereny, for best first novel.

The authors at Midnight Ink are like a closeknit family and when one of us gets nominated for something or wins something, we all clutch hands via the Internet and jump for joy. Midnight Ink hasn't been around very long, only about two years, so when one of us receives recognition, it's good for all of us. And lately, a lot of Midnight Ink books have been getting noticed, including my own.

Popping the champagne for ya, Karen! See you in May!

1 comment:

Karen MacInerney said...

Sue Ann,

Thanks so much for the shout-out... and congrats on your Readers View semifinalist status... and that great review in Mystery Scene!

Can't wait to see you in May!

Karen