Monday, February 26, 2007

The $60 Bacon Cheeseburger

What a dumb ass I am ... but a rather happy dumb ass.

Today I received another e-mail inquiring about option rights to my novels. The e-mail came from a fairly well-known plus size actress (no, not Camryn Manheim or Kirstie Ally). She already knew Too Big To Miss was optioned, but still we chatted by phone and explored other possibilities. We're meeting for dinner on Friday night.

Anyway, tonight I decided to treat myself to dinner, but not just any dinner. What I wanted was a big juicy bacon cheeseburger at Islands. I thought about Burger King, but hey, it's not often I chow down on a big cheeseburger and I've been so good since I've sworn off of biscuits and gravy, so off to Islands I headed after work.

Now, I live on the westside of Los Angeles, a city not known for its plethora of free parking. So when I spied a parking spot on a side street just half a block from Islands on Pico Blvd., I grabbed it, but not before making sure it was a valid parking spot. I read the sign, really I did. It said: "1 hr parking, Monday - Friday, 6 am-8pm." Okay, I was just getting a burger and it was already almost 7:30. Piece 'o cake.

Imagine my surprise when I came out at 8:30 to find a parking ticket tucked ever so nicely into my door handle. According to the ticket, I was parked in a no-parking zone. Huh??? Can't be. Armed with my camera loaded cell phone, I stalked to the parking sign to get a photo of the parking hours. Imagine my surprise, yet again, when I noticed that just above the posted parking hours sign was another separate sign that said "No Parking Except."

Hula Burger with bacon, plus chocolate shake, tax and tip - $15.00

Los Angeles City Parking Ticket - $45.00

Feeling like a dumb ass - Priceless

But an excited and happy dumb ass, mind you.

No comments: