Monday, January 15, 2007

I Have a Dream, Too.

Today is the first day in many years that I have had Martin Luther King Day off with pay from a day job. Recent past employers have always tagged the day as an optional personal day rather than an office holiday. Although it’s great to have a day off, I want to take a moment to reflect on what this day really means – for ALL of us.

I was living in Arizona in 1986 when the day was made an official holiday. About a year later the newly elected Arizona governor, Evan Mecham, canceled that state’s observance of the day, causing great uproar. Mr. Mecham served as Arizona’s governor just over one year and was removed from office following an impeachment trial involving obstruction of justice and misuse of government funds. One of the most bizarre things I remember was his public attempt to justify the use of the word “pickaninny. "

Dr. King is not the face of freedom for just African-Americans, he is the face of freedom for all of us. Because of his work, courage and refusal to accept things as they were, we all enjoy a richer life – a life of dreams and possibilities. We still have a long way to go in our quest for tolerance and acceptance, but it is up to you and me now to carry on The Dream.

* * * * * * * * *
Is it just me, or do George W. Bush and Evan Mecham have a lot of physicial similarities?


Diana said...

Sue Ann - I remember good old Evan Meecham, as Darrell and I lived in AZ for 10 years. What a sad time for our state!
Thank you for sharing what so many feel. Martin Luther King is an example for all of us, and all who have struggled can identify with his powerful words.
God bless him,

Anonymous said...

Evan Meecham and George W. look frighteningly alike. (You must have had fun posting these photos!)