Saturday, January 13, 2007

A Couch With A View

2007 is off with a bang, or at least with the flu.

Talk about timing – I finished Mother Mayhem on January 1st, worked tons of hours at ye ole day job the next nine days and spent the last 3-1/2 days down with the flu. I’m thankful for the long weekend. With any luck, this bug will be gone by Tuesday when I go back to work.

In the past 4 days I have watched enough movies to keep Ebert and Roper busy. I think of watching movies as one, if not the only, upside of being sick. Among them:

The Upside of Anger – Joan Allen is brilliant to watch as a woman who takes anger to new heights after the disappearance of her husband.

Nanny McPhee – I loved this family fantasy film with Emma Thompson playing the scary but wise Nanny McPhee. It’s absolutely delightful, but be warned – Nanny McPhee is no spoonful of sugar.

The Lake House – Sandra Bullock is one of my favorites and I’m a sucker for time travel or parallel universe themes. This movie is definitely a chick flick and can be rather confusing going back and forth between characters that are living two years apart in the same general location.

The 40 Year Old Virgin – I never had any desire to see this, but turned it on anyway. I loved it! It’s goofy and fun and very touching. Steve Carell is great in this. And don’t miss him in Little Miss Sunshine, one of my favorite movies of 2006.

Pride and Prejudice – Keira Knightley is absolutely charming as Elizabeth Bennet in this adaptation of Jane Austin’s novel.

Cars – Great animated fun. Worth seeing.

Alfie – I enjoyed Jude Law’s Alfie as much as I did Michael Caine’s years ago.

Pollyanna – The original with Haley Mills, of course. I remember seeing this when I was a young girl and it hasn’t lost its magic.

Samantha: An American Girl Holiday – What can I say, it came on right after Pollyanna and I enjoyed every cutesy precious minute of it. (Hey, I had a fever, cut me some slack.)

As you can see, when I’m sick I don’t go in for hard hitting drama or blood and gore action films. On tonight’s agenda, and starting in 30 minutes on HBO, is The Wedding Crashers.

Gotta grab some Tylenol, some hot tea, and an afghan. See you on the couch.

No comments: