Saturday, December 16, 2006

A Not So Easy Spirit

This weekend I have three holiday events to attend and I’m all set to go, except that last night I noticed my fancy pumps had seen better days. What’s a gal to do?

Well, this gal knew exactly what to do. So off to the mall I went at 8:00 a.m. this morning. I knew what I wanted and where to get them as I had spotted the shoes last weekend at the East Spirit store at the Westside Pavilion Mall while doing my Christmas shopping. I also have no doubt I was the first customer of the day, so imagine my surprise when the clerk seemed to have better things to do than to wait on me. But undeterred, I managed to try the shoes on, as well as another style, and make my selection.

Here’s the good part …

While paying for my new pumps, I noticed some very cute flats that would be perfect for the office with trousers. I picked up one and showed it to the clerk and asked her if she had ever tried them on. She said… and I quote… “I only wear high-end shoes.”

Uh huh.

Now I’m no fool; I know that a pair of Easy Spirit pumps are not even in the same league as a pair of Manolo Blahnik or Jimmy Choo pumps, but I always thought the purpose of a sales clerk was to sell the products of his/her employer, not to diss them.

Silly me, all those early years spent working a minimum wage second job in retail and I had it all wrong.

3 comments:

Diana said...

Sue Ann - I find retail shopping both frustrating and insulting fo just such reasons!
I went with a friend to Williams Sonoma to help her pick out a gift for her mother. We had questions about cookwear, and watched two clerks whiz by without so much as a glance. A third one was walking at hyper-speed, intent on avoiding eye contact with us when we flagged her down, physically waving our arms.
And the retailers are so puzzled as to why their sales are not as expected each year!!!
Diana

Anonymous said...

I like the pumps.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Thanks. And they were quite comfy AND reasonably priced. :)