Monday, December 11, 2006

Monday Morning Quarterback

It’s 6:00 a.m. on Monday morning and I’m taking time to reflect on the weekend: what did get done; what didn’t get done; what I wanted to get done. I have a small white board hung next to my desk at home. On it is a list of things that need to be done and each one completed is erased. As I wield the eraser, I look at it with a mix of disappointment and satisfaction.

Done: Holiday Open House at the Mystery Book Store in Westwood. This is one of my favorite book stores and the Open House was so much fun. In addition to visiting with Bobby and Linda and other staff members, I spent time with friends like Patricia Smiley and Eric Stone. During the time I was at the store they had a reading and signing by a new author named Michael Graham. His reading was so compelling I purchased his novel, The Snow Angel (like I need another book for my To Be Read pile!) and look forward to reading it.

Done: Christmas Shopping. In spite of my penchant for online shopping, there were still a few things I needed to get at real stores and much of Saturday was spent driving to specialty stores for these items. My Christmas shopping is done… finito … adios.

Done: Grocery Shopping. Go ahead and laugh but I have discovered the joy of ordering my groceries online, at least temporarily. Actually it was through necessity and not laziness. The elevator in my apartment building has been out-of-order for almost three months (grrrrrrrr) and I live on the third floor. Even with a bit of arthritis in one knee I haven’t minded the trek up and down the stairs, but hauling 30 lb boxes of kitty litter and 8 lb bags of kibble up them has become problematic. Yesterday I ordered 60 lbs of kitty litter and 24 lbs of cat kibble and someone else hauled it up the stairs. I consider it take out for kitties.

Not Done: Housework. The place is a mess, but who cares. Hazel has been banished by Selma the Muse until Mother Mayhem is done. However, I’ve discovered that Selma loves to Christmas Shop and attend open houses at book stores.

Not Done: Mother Mayhem – I want to erase this so bad, but can’t quite. The plan was to finish the manuscript this weekend, but it’s not quite done. I only have another chapter or two to go. The finish line is in the horizon; I can see it and hear the roar of the crowd. 21 Days and Counting!

Weekend Guilty Pleasures (items not on the white board): Watching the finale of The Amazing Race; leisurely Saturday lunch out alone reading a book (Hoodtown by Christa Faust); watching Cheaper By the Dozen 2; playing Scrabble online; and most important, 2 mornings of sleeping late.

It was a very good weekend!


Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to butt in on your blog, but I wanted to ask what you think of "The Snow Angel"? Have you read it yet? It's rude of me to intrude here, but I found this through a google search and felt compelled to ask. The author is my dad and I'm quite excited for his debut novel. Do you know him or was it coincidence you found his book?


Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Laura, You're not intruding at all. Finding Snow Angel was a happy coincidence. I was one of the authors invited to the Mystery Book Store Holiday Open House and just happened to show up in time for your father's reading. I haven't had time to read it yet, but I look forward to it. He did such an excellent job on his reading that it was difficult to NOT buy it.