Thursday, December 14, 2006

Christmas Came Early


Yesterday I received an e-mail from my wonderful agent saying that a well known production company was making inquiries about the film rights to The Curse of the Holy Pail, the second book in the Odelia Grey mystery series which is due out in just a few weeks. Needless to say I am ecstatic about the news. The first book in the series, Too Big To Miss, has already been optioned by another party. But in all the excitement there is always the sense of cautious celebration. Many books are optioned, but few actually make it to TV or the big screen. Still, someone is interested and that someone was not ferreted out by anyone in my camp, they came to us. Even after a good night’s sleep, my toes are still curling in joy at the thought.

November and December have been exciting months for me and my writing career. As I careen towards the finish of Mother Mayhem (18 days and counting), the release of The Curse of the Holy Pail is building buzz. Recently, I received great reviews by both The Library Journal and Kirkus Reviews, and my publisher placed a beautiful ad for my books in a recent issue of Publishers Weekly. In addition, both Deadly Pleasures Magazine and Mystery Scene Magazine should be running favorable reviews in their next issues (my publicist and I have already seen previews). On top of this exciting news, my calendar for 2007 is filling up with speaking invitations and book signings.

Writing is such a solitary endeavor and can be very frustrating, yet still writers write, throwing themselves under the bus of criticism with every word. But just when you think you can't write another word, that you'd be better off sitting on your duff watching TV, things like these happen and renew your sense of purpose and focus your attention back on your goals.

What more could a writing gal want … besides Peace on Earth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! -- a fellow writer

Kate Thornton said...

This is great news, Sue Ann!
-Kate