Wednesday, November 01, 2006

That's all I have to say about that.

A lot of my friends and collegues have expressed how sorry they are about the vile words being said about me over my comments about the Opie & Anthony Show and the Fatty Pig Fatty contest.

Thank you for your kind thoughts, but please don't feel sorry for me. I haven't taken one word of it seriously or been injured in the least, even before my books took a huge sales jump, which they did yesterday after Opie and Anthony aired their show and discussed my blog and the comments.

If I've experienced anything because of this it has been surprise (gee people ARE reading my blog!), shock (I knew ignorance was alive and well but I didn't realize how healthy it was -- an ignorance on my part), dismay (I really had hoped people had evolved more than this), and happiness (I'm thrilled that I've touched a nerve and made some people think about tolerance.)

Tolerance is the reason I posted the blog entry Just Say No! in the first place, and it's the reason I have allowed the comments to remain posted (except for a few exceptionally vile ones and those past my closing of the comments). By letting people see the ugliness, especially that lurking under the cover of anonymity, I hope they are realizing the depth of prejudice and hatred still out there; not just for large women, but for anyone who thinks differently or is different.

I do not promote obesity in my blog or in my books; I promote tolerance.

It's obvious that many people will fight to the death for the right to speak freely, as along as you say what they want you to say. That's not how I interpret my right (or your right) to speech. I believe in the saying: I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. Opie and Anthony have every right to publicly conduct a Fatty Pig Fatty contest, and I have every right to publicly oppose it.

So continue to read my blog and others, knowing that you are experiencing first hand our right to speak and share our opinions, and never feel sorry for any of us. The simple truth is, if you stick your chin out there, don't be surprised when someone throws a punch at it. This is even true when writing novels. If you cannot take criticism and comments about what you write, you shouldn't be writing except for your own eyes.

This topic is now finished and I have a book to complete. 61 days and counting!

In the words of Forrest Gump: That's all I have to say about that.

A note about posting comments to this blog post: You are welcome to submit your comments, but please know that NO comments slinging slurs or with excess or vile profanity will be allowed. You have every right to your opinion, but if you cannot express it without hatefulness and prostituting the English language, you will have to post it somewhere else. - saj

5 comments:

Harvey_Birdman_attorney_at_law said...

Hey, obesity happens to the best of us, but you can do something about it; exercise, eat less, or if nothing else works go in for the weight loss surgery. Don't try to justify your pathetic resource-consuming life with the lame PC platitudes of "tolerance".

JeanC said...

Great post! Happy news, finally got the library to order "Too Big to Miss". Have to resubmit the requests for your other two books in the spring when we know where the budget stands, but I think we'll be adding those next semester :)

Diana J said...

Apparantly, the esteemed Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law wants Sue Ann to conform and be like everyone else. Exercise, eat right, lose weight.

Sue Ann, the only acceptable person is a thin attactive person, don't you get it? We should all try to be like the models in the magazines. If you aren't, we'll revile you!

And, how does Harvey "Know" that your life is a pathetic, resource consuming one? The esteemed Counselor is making a generalized, unfounded (and hateful) comment.

Sue Ann's article hits the nail on the head. Tolerance, not hatefullness, is the key. Hate breeds prejudice! Hate the sin, but love the sinner.

Sue Ann has every right to say what she feels, just as each and every one of you have (and many in the most juvenile of fashioh). Please go on enjoying Opie and Anthony, they will continue to entertain us. We will each have our own feelings about some of the stunts they pull. Some we will find funny, others will strike a nerve. Thank God, we have the freedom to say what we feel.

And Sue Ann, I am so glad to hear your sales rankings have gone through the roof during all this controversy. Good luck with the next book, I await it anxiously and look forward to following your progress on this blog.

Diana J.

Kae said...

You are my hero... I'm definitely running out and buying your books!

Kate Thornton said...

Sue Ann, I am delighted your book sales are shooting up! Congratulations!

There are more readers than morons - always a good sign. PS Just ordered copies for Holiday gifts.