Sunday, November 12, 2006

New Rules

Every Friday night if I’m home at 11 pm I watch Real Time With Bill Maher on HBO. It’s one of my favorite shows and one of my favorite bits on it is near the end when Bill does “New Rules.”

Well, this morning, after reading an e-mail from my publisher, Selma the Muse and I decided we need New Rules.

Currently my head is deep into Mother Mayhem, the 3rd Odelia Grey novel due to my publisher on January 1, 2007 (or as Keith Raffel recently pointed out to me, January 2nd due to the holiday). But my publisher’s head is deep into The Curse of the Holy Pail, the 2nd Odelia Grey novel being released February 2007. Can you see the conflict here?

Over the past couple of months, while I’ve been slaving away on book #3, I’ve been receiving e-mail requests from my publisher about book #2. Sometimes these require simple and quick responses and sometimes, like final edits on galleys, they require a lot of time and effort. This morning I received an e-mail asking me to review the back cover content for book #2 and, me being me, I spent at least an hour explaining exactly what I liked and what I did not like and providing examples of what I would ultimately like to see on said back cover.

Okay, I do understand that this obsessive behavior is my problem, not Midnight Ink’s problem, but hitting deadlines is MY problem, and since my body type is not one conducive to hurdling over obstacles, I have a tendency to plow through them, which takes more time.

NEW RULE: For every 15 minutes it takes me to fiddle with book #2, I should get one more week to finish book #3.

50 days and counting (under the old rules).

No comments: