Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Keep Your Mouth Open

More than a dozen years ago I saw a slogan that I have never forgotten. It was printed on the side of a brown paper shopping bag I received when I purchased something at The Body Shop.

It is the duty of every citizen to keep their mouth open.

Often you will hear people say what does it matter? No one listens, why bother? Nothing will change, why should I get involved?

It is my duty, your duty, everyone's duty to vote, to comment, to say no, to say yes, to voice outrage, and to voice support. You may think you are just one voice, but together we are many, and many voices can make a difference.

In the past few weeks we have seen a surprising election and the withdrawal of a highly questionable book and TV program, all based on voices being raised together in one form or another for a common goal. We can make a difference, individually and together.

A personal favorite:

First They Came for the Jews
by Pastor Martin Niemöller

First they came for the Jews

and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

And another personal favorite:

"Who now remembers the Armenians?" -- Adolf Hitler

At this Thanksgiving season, let's give thanks for our family, friends, and freedoms.

2 comments:

dee said...

Very nice post. You said it well.

Kate Thornton said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Sue Ann - thanks for the inspiring posts!