Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Upside to a Cold

October 8, 2006

Last weekend I attended Bouchercon, the World Mystery Conference, which was held in the delightful city of Madison, Wisconsin. (I will write more about B'Con later.) Unfortunately, shortly after I returned home I found myself with a head cold. Not surprising, considering all the plane travel and shaking hands, hugging, smooching and even sharing drinks with old friends and new friends from all over the world.

But there is an upside to having a cold.

Although I was a trooper and never missed a day of work from my day job, I found it impossible to keep to my evening schedule of writing and reading while snorting cold medicine in various forms. So, what's a gal to do? Well, this gal stretched out on the sofa, slathered in Vicks VapoRub, surrounded by her two cats, and watched movies. Ahhh-choo ... such a delightful yet sinful pleasure, especially when facing a year-end deadline on a third novel.

Three movies stood out, each for their own charm, talent and content: Fever Pitch, Beyond the Sea, and The Woodsman, and I recommend all three with big "thumbs up."

Being originally from Massachusetts, the romantic comedy Fever Pitch was an especially fun romp about the obsession New Englanders (including my own nutsy family) have for the Boston Red Sox. Case in point: at my niece Lindsays wedding last year, during the ceremony I read a piece entitled Why Marriage is Like Baseball. No, I didn't write it. It was penned by a pastor many years ago.

I have always been a big fan of Kevin Spacey's work, so when I saw Beyond the Sea listed on cable, I couldn't resist. Beyond the Sea is a stylized biography of the life of Bobby Darin. Kevin Spacey is both the producer and star and even sings the musical numbers himself. It is a very enjoyable and fascinating production of Darin's life and his marriage to Sandra Dee.

Last is The Woodsman starring Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick. I had seen the Ebert and Roper review on this movie (two thumbs up) and placed it on my TBW list (to be watched, not to be confused with to be read, though both lists are rather daunting in size). I was not disappointed. Although the subject matter is distasteful -- life after prison of a convicted child molester -- Kevin Bacon does a superb acting job as the parolee and I found myself rooting for him in his struggle to be "normal."

Okay, the cold is at bay, time to get back to work on Mother Mayhem.

No comments: