Tuesday, October 24, 2006

All I Wanted Was Some Damn Coffee!

October 19, 2006

Just 30 minutes ago I went down to the Starbucks in my office building and treated myself to a pumpkin spice latte... a big one! I love these things and don't give a rat's behind how many calories, points, fat grams, carbs, etc. are in them.

On the elevator back up to the 16th floor, I was joined by a professional-looking man in his late 30's or early 40's, dressed in a nice shirt and tie (dollar to donuts he was an attorney). On the ride up we talked about coffee and the need for a late afternoon boost. He made a comment about how I could probably get my coffee for free in my office, and I laughed and said "but not a pumpkin spice latte." We stopped at his floor. As he got off he said, "You're never going to lose weight that way," then quickly disappeared.

First of all, when did the subject of weight, mine or anyone else's, even come up in this conversation?

Secondly, if you're going to insult me, come back here and do it to my face with the elevator door closed so I can beat you senseless without a witness, not like a hit and run coward taking your shot as you leave the elevator!

I'm happy to say, it's been a very long time since I've been insulted like this, but I'm very saddened to say such rudeness is alive and well and apparently working in my office building.

Hmmm, might have to put him in one of my books. Be afraid ... be very afraid.

Boy, this coffee's good!


Anonymous said...

That's awful!!! Yes, I think he needs to be pushed into an empty elevator shaft in one of your books.

I'm naturally thin (well, scrawny--it's genetic). About 10 years ago, I got on an elevator in my office building and a woman said, "Skinny people aren't allowed on this elevator." She said this in front of a small group of people. I laughed it off, although inside I was humiliated.

What does it matter what other people weigh? And why do they feel the need to comment on it?

I look forward to picking up your first book. I'm a huge mystery fan and a mystery writer myself (agented but unpubbed).

By the way, Midnight Ink did a FABULOUS job with your covers.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Thanks for the post.

There is a very slender, middle-aged woman in my office who is always getting razzed by one of our attorneys (who's is plump) about how naturally slim she is (and she eats, believe me!). She hates it when the comments are made.

You're right, NO ONE has the right to make unsolicited comments whether you are large or small.

And thanks for the compliment on my books covers. Midnight Ink even won a graphics award for the cover of Too Big To Miss.

Keep writing, one day you'll get that big break!

Kate Thornton said...

Didn't anyone ever teach that idiot that it is impolite to make personal remarks to a stranger?

The last stranger who insulted me in an elevator (well, the only one - it has only happened once)got an instant lesson in manners.

And you had a large container full of a very hot beverage... What was he thinking?

I love your books, Sue Ann - keep 'em coming!